All gas fireplaces sold in Canada are required to be listed with Natural Resources Canada (NRCan). These listings include details about each model, relevant when choosing the right model for you; including efficiency and ignition type.
Gettings your models listed
If you are a manufacturer of gas fireplaces with Canadian shipments, you are eligible to participate in the EnerGuide for Gas Fireplace program. Because financial support for the EnerChoice trademark initiatives are obtained through the EnerGuide shipment data program, only companies that participate are listed here.
It is important to note, that regardless of whether you participate in our programs or are listed here on enerchoice.org ALL gas fireplace models that are sold in Canada MUST be listed with Natural Resources Canada (NRCan). To see if a model is listed, please check out the NRCan MASTER database
To obtain the most up to date forms for making model submissions to NRCan please visit http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/regulations-codes-standards/6959
To learn more about EnerGuide for Gas Fireplaces, EnerChoice, or the Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) database of Fireplace Efficiencies (FE), please contact Erika at firstname.lastname@example.org 1.800.792.5284 x 3 (Canada) or 705.385.2223 x 3
Model Naming Conventions for NRCan dadatabase
- Each model submitted should be unique in function and testing
- Variations in aesthetic or production year should not be listed individually. A base model number should be truncated and have the presence of variations indicated using the following
- multiple numbers replaced/ indicated by "# " i.e. Models MXTR1, MXTR2, MXTR3 - listed as MXTR#
- multiple letter variations replaced / indicated by " * " i.e Models TRXNL, TRXLNR, TRXLNB, TRXLNDV - listed as TRXL*
- Items in the current database that do not follow this convention should be removed.
- Modifications to the model to listing database may be made by submitting a completed file and indicating the "action"
- only version 8.31 currently accepted
- the most current version of this spreadsheet should always be used to ensure upload, and can be found at https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/regulations-codes-standards/6959
- To modify a model number, include a deletion line for the current model, and a line at add the modified model number.
Looking to Buy
When choosing a fireplace to suit your home and your needs, there are several factors to consider. Questions such as how and when you plan to use your fireplace will ensure you find the right model for your home. We’ve assembled some tools and information to assist you with your selection.